Thursday 2 August 2012

Barnowls and Bleak but Beautiful Bodmin

It's been a really tough day today.  I knew that I faced the serious climbs over the top of Dartmoor and Bodmin Moor, however the weather today decided to make this even trickier for me.

A30
I headed over Dartmoor without too many problems but I soon realised that Bodmin was going to become my third swear word of the trip (after Shap and Dremochter).  The rain pelted down, to the point that it hurt and switched between heavy rain and burning sun - which doesn't help with chaffing!  It was almost as if I was cycling in and out of a power shower on full thottle.

From here I took to the A30 which I have seen a lot of today and will continue along tomorrow.

Another milestone - I've entered Cornwall just before hitting Launceston, one last push to Land's End!

Bleak but beautiful Bodmin Moor
Bodmin Moor itself was bleak but beautiful and I had some amazing views.  However the rain was back to thwart me again as I headed into the town of Bodmin itself.  It became so heavy that I was drenched to the skin within seconds so I must have looked quite a sight cycling into the town, yelling at the sky "Is that all you've got".  It certainly made one local chuckle from under the safety of his brolly!

In contrast however we were met with real hospitality at the campsite in Lostwithiel, who donated our fee to the charities, and to top it all off we could see Barn owls swooping into the barn one with a mouse dangling from its talons!


 I can't quite believe that I will complete the ride tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment